Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My life on the street...





  I walk around trying to stay in places that make me feel safe, I have to keep my cans and my bags of things close so no one will take them from me, I need them for currency when I may need to trade for food or water.  Most people think they are just bags of trash, but to me they are all I have to GIVE. I have to wear all my clothes all the time, which means that in summer even when it is 100 degrees, I wear my layers of clothes and top it off with my full length down coat.  That coat was my greatest treasure. It is one of the nicest things I have ever owned and I received it at the mission last winter. I know it will be my greatest comfort when it gets cold again, but when it s hot, I can't take it off or someone will take it from me. I sleep with one eye open, if I sleep at all. It is best to sleep in short spurts, then move again.  There is no one to trust out here, even those like me, we are all just clamoring to survive, and I admit that even I can't be trusted. I have to survive....or do I?  What exactly am I here for?   Sometimes I wonder why I keep walking these streets, what is the reason that I carry all this stuff around from day to day.....  Sometimes, someone will smile at me or give me some money, or give me some food, or look at me genuinely and ask how I am. That gives me hope, I guess.  Sometimes, it seems like I am invisible... And I may die here in these streets and no one will even know.  How did I get here in this place?  How do I get out?   Will you at least pray for me?  Or do you even notice me?  If you can't help me or won't, please just notice that I am here and pray that I will come to know warmth, or safety, or love, or that maybe one day I won't have to live outside alone.

This is the story of a woman I will call "Barbara". I met her this past July. I think about her every night and wonder where she is and if she is safe, or if she is crying, or if she is hungry, or if she is freezing.  Ever since I met her, I have gone back to talk to her. I am trying to gain her trust so I can help her, but she has no reason to believe I will help her, yet. She trusts no one. I have dedicated all of my artwork sales to her.  From now until the end of the year, every penny of artwork sold will go toward providing at least some relief from the cold and the hunger that she lives through every day.  I  am posting the artwork that is available and the prices.  If you are interested, please just comment and I can respond to you through this blog.  If you can't help this cause or would rather not, I understand, I just ask that you pray for her and all the others like her, and please just remember that we are in uncertain times, and it could one day be you or someone you know. The  homeless among us, are no longer just  prostitutes, criminals, and beggars, they could just be your neighbor.

Mill Street  $130 in custom made frame

"Paris Metro" $50 8x10

The Bowler, The Raven and I $50 18x24

"Free" $100 including custom frame not shown

"Queen for a Day" $50 18x24

"Taking Off" $50 18x24

"U can Change the World" $75 including frame

"Circus Elephant" $50 can hold a picture or personalized birth announcement, etc.

NYCITIB4911 $100 8"x48"

"Ripple"  $20 9x12

"Storm over City Hall" $35 framed 18x24


"Still Life" $35 framed

"Cherish" $60 24x24

"Love" frame $15 9x12

Queen size Doors Headboard
 $850




No comments:

Post a Comment