Wednesday, June 27, 2012

On an earlier post, I had written about my process of painting, distressing, then rubbing on stain to give an aged wood look.  I was asked, "Can you really do that?"  I figured there may be others who wondered the same thing, so here is my 3 part answer to that question.
First of all, if you go to the hardware store, and ask that question or read labels on cans, etc. You will be told that is not a recommended application of this product.  However, just so you know, i don't believe everything I read on cans or what they tell me at the hardware store until I have tried it myself.  I love to experiment and try things that most people say can't or shouldn't be done.  Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. 

Secondly, I LOVE WOOD! I love the smell of wood. I love the feel of wood in my hands, I love the look of wood.  I love TREES. I even love paper of all different kinds.  I love wood in every form.  I can pretty much identify what kind of wood it is just by the smell. I find it intoxicating.  Only other woodworkers will understand this.  This is why people are confused at why I always paint wood, but my obsession with paint is a whole other story....  Sometimes, there is a piece of furniture where the wood just wants to be and I maintain the integrity of the wood, but other times, it just wants to be something new, and that is where I come in. I still love the smell of wood, and continue to search for a way to paint wood to emulate the touch, the smell, and the feel of real wood even though it is painted.  I tried staining over paint to get the sheen and the amber hue that I cannot get with paint, and it works better to use stain than poly, and because it is rubbed in, it becomes a part of the finish, not just a layer.  It also gives me that familiar scent of stained wood.

Third:  I admit that it is VERY TRICKY, (albeit not impossible) to achieve this look as a novice.  If you haven't done quite a bit of painting and staining in your time, this process may not be very fun or rewarding for you.  I always think it is worth trying even if you have never painted, but just don't be too discouraged if it isn't right the first time:) There is always the second and the third time:))) 


2 comments:

  1. What kind/brands of stain do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry, I am just seeing this comment. I use Minwax stains, tried and true. I tend to mix stains about like I mix paint, and I am pretty familiar with Minwax colors so I don't bother with any other brand.

    ReplyDelete