Saturday, July 7, 2012

Review on paint

PAINT. What color to choose? How much do I need? What brand should I go with? How many coats do I put on? YIKES! The choices could make you dizzy. I have used every brand of paint that I know exists. I would like to share MY OPINION on paint. I don't know how much experience makes you an expert, but I hope what I've learned might be helpful to you. I have broken my reviews down into categories based on painting various surfaces. Different paint works different on different surfaces. I also research the companies who make the paint, because eco and ethical responsibilities from a company are important to me and I do not support companies who do not act responsibly. WALLS: Favorite primer: Kilz 2 thicker than most, but by far the best coverage Favorite wall paint: Sherwin Williams duration : great coverage, nice selection of colors, good company Coronado|: beautiful colors, great coverage, good company, more expensive Mythic paint: great colors, good coverage, No VOC's, great Eco company although due to lack of preservatives and chemicals in this paint, it does not have a long shelf life, so only buy what you can use within a month. Behr: I use this one a lot because I am so familiar with all the colors, It is convenient because I am always at home depot, and because they can mix any of my sherwin Williams, Coronado, porter, or Benjamin Moore colors into behr paint. Although, I have found no discernible difference between their paint with primer and their original except the one with primer costs more. I think if you need to prime, use Kilz 2 and get it tinted to match your color. Martha Stewart Paint: good paint, consistent, great coverage and likeness in reds. Reds are difficult in most paints, they never look like the swatch and it takes so many coats to cover, but I really like the reds in Martha's paint. Benjamin Moore: good paint, but I don't use it much because it is not conveniently located to me. Porter paints: Not my favorite. Their paint does not go on well, and I find inconsistency when buying the same color twice. It never exactly matches what I had before. GLIDDEN: will not buy or use. Valspar: will not buy or use. Same problem as Glidden. It is cheap paint, and almost drippy it is so thin. They do not use as many pigments in their paint, so the colors are lackluster, and watered down. It takes about 3 to 4 coats to cover a wall, which will end up costing you way more than buying good paint to start with. I have given you some tips on choosing brands for walls here, but don't want to run on, so I will be back tomorrow with tips on brands for furniture. Until we meet again....

No comments:

Post a Comment